richmond62 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:07 pm Mais, possiblement:

https://hc.quibble.com/thread/324
I remember at the time feeling much the same way as some of those commenters:
A similar thought occured to me after reading the HyperSense docs. I
wondered if stopping development on HC is a way of "helping out"
(tossing a bone to) NeXT software developers since Apple's acquisition of
NeXT/OpenStep/NeXTStep. On the other hand, the best strategy for
modernizing HC may be similiar to the path that Apple has taken to
modernize the MacOS--integration of Unix/NeXTStep technologies.

At any rate, I will continue to wait...for Apple to officially kill or
modernize HyperCard...for Dan to finish Serf...for HyperSense-Mac to
become a reality...or finish my d*mn dissertation so I can have the time
to learn a "real" programming language this summer/autumn.

Stan Soria
I don't want to start a war, and I don't work for Metacard, haven't even
bought it yet too many irons in the fire as it is. But I don't understand
the reluctance to accept Metacard as an option. Personaly I'm still using
Hypercard and will continue to untill they don't run on my Mac any longer,
I figure I got a long time to go. I'm sure those that do development in
Hypercard are concerned, if so they should at least give it an honest and
open minded evaluation.
I remember that time (1999), looking for something to fill HyperCard void when HC seemed doomed, when Mac OS X 10.0 had just been released. HyperCard continued to work for another 6 years or so until Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) removed the 'Mac Classic' environment. MetaCard I think I was either unaware of, or it was far to expensive to consider. Eventually I bet on Interface Builder + AppleScriptObjC to become HyperCard-like, which unfortunately did not pan out (although ASObjC still exists in macOS, for now).

At some point I got a license for SuperCard (cheap!) although I've never really liked the way things were done in SC, and then that languished for years until it broke with macOS 10.14 Mohave.

A few years prior (mid-1990s) I had purchased FutureBASIC ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FutureBASIC ), which also still exists and is now FREE software, but is still closed-source (https://www.brilorsoftware.com/fb/pages/home.html and now days it can transpire C and builds binaries with GCC compiler). However what I really wanted to do back then was to get into some lower level languages more (C, C++, etc.). The reality was I just did not have the time nor resources to do so at the time (I was in my 20s in the 1990s).

It wasn't until sometime after the first funding drive for Open-Source LiveCode CE, that I discovered LiveCode (some time around late 2013/early 2014), I'm not sure if I had ever even heard of Runtime Revolution until then. But then it seemed all was (mostly) right in xTalk world and I began to invest time into bringing my previous experiments and musical toys over to that, until that abruptly went south and now here we are.

Many interesting reads in the old HyperCard mailing list (and the MetaCard list as well) , I've been down a few of those threads in the past year. I stumbled onto a thread with OpenXION, StackSmith, and Serf creators, basically all agreeing that the future (now present) is web / HTML5, and all I can think is 'Imagine if we could just get them to all to work on the same xTalk engine project'!!! Development on all of their individual projects is glacial at best. NOTE: I'm not blaming anyone, I get it, regular life is time consuming, and it seems donating your time to work on FOSS isn't all that rewarding for most people. But there's strength in numbers!

I still want the desktop apps capabilities with direct access to System APIs and such (MIDI Hardware!), but I also agree that there's some powerful arguments to be made for leveraging JavaScript or WebASM engine(s) as a foundation for an xCard / xTalk interpreter on top. I mean just look at the HTML5 APIs, they're all about making browsers into app engines.