The Tale of Two Cheese Graters

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: The Tale of Two Cheese Graters

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:01 pm A cheese grater tower is suprisingly still capable of running a build of Mac OS X that is 64bit and has the benefit of testing for 10.9 upwards. If we build OpenXTalk for Mac OS X, how far back do we support?
Personally I am open to ALL xTalks, including retro-xTalks with bare-metal or via emulation.
I DO currently have macs that can run macOS 6 - 7, 7 - 9, 10.0 - 12.5 (current), but I wasn't planing on trying to back-port anything to do with the IDE.

As far as OXT IDE based on LC CE is concerned 10.9 is the build target for 9.x, which is a real pain in the ass because you need like 4 copies of X-code for the SDKs to build the thing on newer macOS versions. I'm supporting additional (and newer than 10.9) macOS features such as darkMode via Extension Builder. I suspect most things in v.9.xx would work just fine on 10.7 Lion or 10.6-Snow running in 64bit mode, but you can't just change the app's minimum system version in the info.plist (I tried) and have it launch, it would need to be recompiled to run on older stuff.

LC CE 6.6 or 6.7 was last builds with PowerPC support.
Not sure what was last Unix/BSD support version?
I wonder how hard that would be to port the IDE Engine to FreeBSD?

What could probably be incorporated into OXT fairly easily, would be adding the 6.x -7.x-8.x engines as deployment options, and there could be checks to ensure a stack doesn't use newer features before building as standalone. So. then if you have a simple stack with no widgets or SVG graphics, and you want to build it as an app to run on macOS 10.4 Tiger PowerPC running on a 1998 PowerMac9600 (I've done it) with G4 upgrade, you could. I don't think that's worth much effort though, since you could just directly fire-up old versions of xTalks on those systems already.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Personally (that's shorthand for 'selfishly'), I'd love Mac builds that would run on Mac OS 10.7;

BUT: in fact this would be redundant as there are freely available LiveCode versions that function perfectly well on that (I run LC 8.1.10).

In fact, Paul, I see absolutely NO need whatsoever to worry about anything (Macintosh-wise) before when it went 64-bit only, just
exactly because one can use LiveCode.

I believe what you should produce are versions of OXT that run on the latest versions
of Windows (10 & 11), Linux (although that begs the Q as, at present current Debian derivatives can
run versions of RunRev/Livecode as far back as version 4), and Macintosh (11,12,13),
AND (perhaps this is the real clincher) Mac OS running on ARM processors.

I feel that your spending time and effort producing versions of OXT that are already provided for by existing (and freely available)
versions of LiveCode is a waste.

Where programmers who do not have the vast oodles of money to pay for LiveCode now that newer versions are no longer available
in Open Source versions need help is exactly in the areas I have outlined above.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

I'm feeling poorly at the moment, but I'll interject.

This whole thread, specifically because I am the author, was 'out of the box' of OXT (you'll notice that it is in Off Topic, as well.) Just some wants I'm kicking about, at the moment. I do not mind it pointing back into the box, or at stuff in the box (it can be On Topic, too so far as that goes) but please don't be offended that my attempt was a Mac-head sort of discussion.

At the end, if I own it, it either runs, or will run Linux, a bit of time in 10.11 (so for instance, brew and Homebrew work) might exist, but it would end up an Apple with a penguin.
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Well, honestly, I wonder why, when you can run Linux on something far cheaper.

AND having spent a fruitless month trying to build LiveCode for PPC Mac . . .
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

was 'out of the box
A lot of people round these parts are out of their boxes: and healthier and happier for it. 8-)
overclockedmind

An update: Dude finally decided to send it to the ACMT that would have done his AppleCare repair, in a custom box.

I pulled it out, reseated a video card, and it went "bwong" in the most beautiful way I've heard it in a long, long time.

I expect to give this thing all the hell I can give it, video card and the second CPU (I have the deep-well hex, I had ordered it already :lol:) How much hell (in power and which OS X) it gets? Ohh that only remains to be seen, dear friends.

If you have recommendations along the path of OS X, part ideas, or anything else you'd wanna say like "hey, it really is maxed out with this, screams like hell with this and I'd probably stick with the active homebrew there, it's thriving," I'll take anything I can get.

Again, it's a single-Xeon air-cooled Power Mac 3,1 - Early 2008? But I won't probably get knee-deep in it until, uh February.

Thanks!

BTW - I'm really rather NOT of the opinion that it'll run Linux, at all, anymore.
overclockedmind

Like, for instance... Sorbet Leopard is talked about to the moon and back; and while I respect that OS to the moon and back, not only is it PPC.. I think it's too early for the home-brew community (Snow/Lion.) I wanna be where the action is; I hear 10.11 mentioned a whole bunch but couldn't confirm that. 10.12 also.
overclockedmind

:ugeek: Yes, I DO have a PC perfectly capable of Mactivating? video cards. Thank you for asking.
That machine could also used as the "core" of the Mac, but really this is my Unicorn Box, the one you can never get... and then, ya do. I could either upgrade it 2015 standards as a case conversion, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I don't know if I want that or That Box Ordered by some guy with NO COMMON SENSE ABOUT WHEN TO STOP. I gotta believe 8 cores of 2.8+ GHz Xeon can do respectably, loved their dual 1.0GHz counterparts.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

overclockedmind wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:13 am Like, for instance... Sorbet Leopard is talked about to the moon and back; and while I respect that OS to the moon and back, not only is it PPC.. I think it's too early for the home-brew community (Snow/Lion.) I wanna be where the action is; I hear 10.11 mentioned a whole bunch but couldn't confirm that. 10.12 also.
Well Snow Leopard would FLY on one of those, and there is(was?) 'Tiger-Brew' and macPorts for FOSS package manager.

I would provably go for Big Sur of higher if I was going to do any sort of web-browsing with it, You can hack-in newer security certificates into older MacOS to continue browsing, BUT lots of sites will be broken for older Web browsers (including 'new' Browsers based on OLD code-base, see 'Classilla')

No matter what OS you go with put in the fastest SSD you can get in it (add in NVMe via PCI slot?)
overclockedmind

You're singing my song. I want though to be able to build or just get binaries for, the latest firefox or chrome using the MacPorts/Homebrew/you get it.