SShot 2022-09-22 at 22.43.20.png
SShot 2022-09-22 at 22.43.20.png (9.92 KiB) Viewed 841 times
-
I would not have believed it if I had not seen it in my in-box this afternoon:
-
SShot 2022-09-22 at 22.52.03.png
SShot 2022-09-22 at 22.52.03.png (133.38 KiB) Viewed 841 times
-
"You know that feeling ... when you discover something that makes your life just that little bit better?"

Do I, have I got nothing better to do than analyse my feelings about biscuits or cups of tea?

Am I such a cretin that I think of computer programming on the same level as eating a biscuit or drinking a cup of tea?

Do I feel happy being talked at in cheap, journalistic sentences?

I mean, come on, if we are supposed to be computer scientists (that's what it was called when I was an undergraduate)
why the fudge are we being given the touchy-feely run-around in advertising like that when, surely, the obvious thing
would be to explain how the 'Enhancement Pack' would, err, enhance our programming work.

And, as to 'happiness', well, that's about as subjective as one can get. But personally, while I may be relatively pleased
to have worked my way through how to achieve a certain result re computer programming, I somehow don't equate that
with happiness.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Re: Buy Happiness

Post by tperry2x »

It's funny you should mention this. I was going to write a post about this too.
I had been contacted by the LC-Mothership (who won't unsubscribe me, despite repeated requests).
I find the whole email they sent very condescending, but nonetheless I went off to have a look at what their bundle was offering.

I can't say I'm overly impressed. A tool that looks like it'll make a glorified table cells, a widget that puts a picture inside a circular graphic, a rudimentary version control system... and to be honest, I kind of switched off after that.

Given that they want $200 (why not in £, as they are based in Scotland aren't they?) - anyway, I'd not part with close to £177 for these measily offerings. I genuinely wonder where they are getting their pricing model from.

This is a shame, because I'm sure people are equating the xtalk language with this Livecode product. It's gone the exact way Adobe has gone. It's a great product, increasingly being hamstrung by unrealistic pricing and stuck behind a restrictive paywall which only serves to infuriate it's once loyal user base.

Which makes the release of something tangible and OpenXTalk-shaped all the more relevant. If things are added, they need to help the user. Let's not have weird focus-stealing-behaviour of palettes and a non-flickering message box (I still get weird behaviour in Livecode's most recent version - that's not a dig at OpenXTalk).

As we are going off on a different dev path to Livecode, let make our changes all the more relevant and things that the end user will actually care about, rather than data grids and the like.