Comments on OXT Lite 1.03

Updates on the progress of this project
tergolap

Comments on OXT Lite 1.03

Post by tergolap »

Hello guys and gals,

I read the forums regularly, but not logging in - or posting - often. I tried to install OXT Lite versions in the past few months now and then, but couldn't by the life of me manage to get it working on my MacBook Air (2015, running Monterey 12.7.4).

The new .dmg for OXT Lite 1.03 works like a charm, though. It was a breeze to have it installed. Now I have to create some applications with it.

Congrats & thank you very much for the work!
Cheers,

T.

I'm not a native speaker, but I try my best.
tperry2x

Re: Comments on OXT Lite 1.03

Post by tperry2x »

Thank you for the feedback.
It's nice to hear when things are going well. Much appreciated.
tergolap

Post by tergolap »

Can confirm the same for MX-21.3_x64 Wildflower January 15 2023 on a Dell Notebook (64bit CPU).
Installation worked like a charm. Waiting for an idea for a program build ...
Cheers,

T.

tergolap

Post by tergolap »

Did the same on my Windows 11 64bit installation. Also went well. :)

Is there anything I have to add?
Just small things, cosmetics, so to say:
  • Linux: the install-script assumes, that the environment-language is set to English and tries to create the Desktop-shortcut in a folder, called "Desktop". That failed for me, as I don't have a directory called "Desktop". Maybe there are Environment-Variables for that?
  • MacOS: The installer is super easy to use. I can't recall, if the installer tries to create a Desktop-shortcut. If so, it would cause the same error as on Linux.
  • Windows: Works fine, as Windows internally uses English paths for almost everything. Hence, shortcut is there. Only thing: when starting it, the startup-screen states "OXT Lite 1.01", not "OXT Lite 1.03".
Thank you!
Cheers,

T.

micmac

Post by micmac »

tergolap...

I need to merge two safari bookmark files (html). Is that an idea for a project?

Mic
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

tergolap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 am Did the same on my Windows 11 64bit installation. Also went well. :)
Brilliant, that's great news. Thank you for testing!
tergolap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 am
  • Linux: the install-script assumes, that the environment-language is set to English and tries to create the Desktop-shortcut in a folder, called "Desktop". That failed for me, as I don't have a directory called "Desktop". Maybe there are Environment-Variables for that?
Ah, sorry - I didn't think of that, but it's a very valid point.
Can you run this script and just check if it outputs the name of your desktop correctly please:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
desktopVar=$(cat ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs | grep "XDG_DESKTOP_DIR")
desktopFolder=$(echo ${desktopVar/XDG_DESKTOP_DIR=/""} | tr -d '"')
desktopFolder=${desktopFolder//'$HOME/'/}
echo "Your desktop folder is called: " $desktopFolder
output.png
output.png (5.43 KiB) Viewed 122 times
test.sh.zip
(310 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
It that shows the name of your desktop folder, then I'll work that into the Linux installer script.
tergolap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 am [*]MacOS: The installer is super easy to use. I can't recall, if the installer tries to create a Desktop-shortcut. If so, it would cause the same error as on Linux.
There's not really an installer, so it doesn't try to create a desktop shortcut or anything. It's kind of up to the Mac user if they add it to their dock, add a shortcut manually, or launch it from something like Apple+Space shortcut.
tergolap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 am [*]Windows: Works fine, as Windows internally uses English paths for almost everything. Hence, shortcut is there. Only thing: when starting it, the startup-screen states "OXT Lite 1.01", not "OXT Lite 1.03".
[/list]
Oops! My fault- sorry, will make sure Windows version of OXT Lite definitely says 1.04 when I release that.
Many thanks.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Possibly/probably the 'Home' folder is called something different in each language . . .
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:52 pm Possibly/probably the 'Home' folder is called something different in each language . . .
If so then the "~" (Tilde) should lead to that folder no matter if the directory has non-English name.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Messing around with different languages in XDG settings:
language.png
language.png (33.53 KiB) Viewed 83 times
It's still looking in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs (no matter what the language) and as Paul mentions, the ~ means the user folder (for currently logged in user), so I can just read this file.

For example, in the above screenshot - changing the language to German yields 'Schreibtisch' - (Writing Table) as Desktop.
desktop-german.png
desktop-german.png (62.35 KiB) Viewed 83 times
edit: done this. The Linux installer is now aware of whatever the desktop might be called due to different languages being set on the system
done.png
done.png (28.72 KiB) Viewed 78 times
tergolap

Post by tergolap »

tperry2x wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:05 pm
tergolap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 am Did the same on my Windows 11 64bit installation. Also went well. :)
Brilliant, that's great news. Thank you for testing!
tergolap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 am
Ah, sorry - I didn't think of that, but it's a very valid point.
Can you run this script and just check if it outputs the name of your desktop correctly please:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
desktopVar=$(cat ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs | grep "XDG_DESKTOP_DIR")
desktopFolder=$(echo ${desktopVar/XDG_DESKTOP_DIR=/""} | tr -d '"')
desktopFolder=${desktopFolder//'$HOME/'/}
echo "Your desktop folder is called: " $desktopFolder
output.png
test.sh.zip
It that shows the name of your desktop folder, then I'll work that into the Linux installer script.

I did not mention that, but it's not a big issue - really just cosmetics. Great work - great support!
tergolap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 am [*]MacOS: The installer is super easy to use. I can't recall, if the installer tries to create a Desktop-shortcut. If so, it would cause the same error as on Linux.
There's not really an installer, so it doesn't try to create a desktop shortcut or anything. It's kind of up to the Mac user if they add it to their dock, add a shortcut manually, or launch it from something like Apple+Space shortcut.
tergolap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 am [*]Windows: Works fine, as Windows internally uses English paths for almost everything. Hence, shortcut is there. Only thing: when starting it, the startup-screen states "OXT Lite 1.01", not "OXT Lite 1.03".
[/list]
Oops! My fault- sorry, will make sure Windows version of OXT Lite definitely says 1.04 when I release that.
Many thanks.
The Script puts out the right name of the Desktop on my machine (in my language).
Cheers,

T.