Running Bryce 7

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
richmond62

Running Bryce 7

Post by richmond62 »

I have been using Bryce 3D software for modelling scenes on Mac machines since 1994, and have a dedicated Polycarbonate 32-bit iMac running MacOS 10.6.8 for Bryce 7.

However I cannot keep carting that iMac back and forth between home and work, so was extremely pleased to get Bryce 7 for Windows running on a 2018 Mac Mini running MacOS 14 .5 Sonoma with WINE:
-
Bryce.jpg
Bryce.jpg (368.42 KiB) Viewed 387 times
-
This renders scenes considerably faster than the Mac-native version on MacOS Snow Leopard, and does also mean I don't have to be fooling around with USB Flash drives all the time.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Running Bryce 7

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Nice! Bryce was a lot of fun, would try to make 'Roger Dean" style (https://www.rogerdean.com/paintings) alien landscapes with it.
richmond62 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:42 am This renders scenes considerably faster than the Mac-native version on MacOS Snow Leopard, and does also mean I don't have to be fooling around with USB Flash drives all the time.
I would assume it renders considerably faster due to being run on a machine with a much newer/better GPU, since WINE can use GPU/OpenGL for graphics acceleration.

Even emulator such as DOSBox are much better now-days for this sort of thing since DOSBox had 3dFx emulation added to it. Games like the orginal Tomb Raider run great. In many cases it's the only way to still play some of these old games.

Someday you'll be able to have your pick of operating systems t run inside of a browser window.
Here's a taste: https://copy.sh/v86/
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Yes, seriously grok Roger Dean, although, to be honest in the late 1970s it was Rockabilly revival and Neville Dickie's Boogie Woogie that did "it" for me, and not Yessongs and Prog Rock!

In later life (my mid-50s) started listening to Yes!

About 1985 went through a serious Kraftwerk und Devo phase.

My older son channelled Mark Mothersbaugh for while in the Reaktor Halle in Munich playing 'his filth of the moment' in an orange boiler suit. :lol:

Also that bloke who made the film with all the "blue, lanky hormones" seriously ripped off Roger Dean!
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:21 pm Yes, seriously grok Roger Dean, although, to be honest in the late 1970s it was Rockabilly revival and Neville Dickie's Boogie Woogie that did "it" for me, and not Yessongs and Prog Rock!

In later life (my mid-50s) started listening to Yes!

About 1985 went through a serious Kraftwerk und Devo phase.

My older son channelled Mark Mothersbaugh for while in the Reaktor Halle in Munich playing 'his filth of the moment' in an orange boiler suit. :lol:
I started with hard-blues now-"classic"-rock (Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, etc.) from my older brothers album collections. but when I heard Yes 1983 'arena of rock' album, "Leave It" (Accapella) that completely lead me down the 'Prog' rabbit hole, which expanded into Fusion, New Age, Electronic, etc. After a few years I was listening to all sorts of obscure bands, bands like Marillion (they never really made a dent in the US market) and other so-called 'Neo-Prog' bands.

As a teen in he late 1980s I got into 'thrash' (when Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, etc. were going big-time), industrial (NIN, Ministry, Lard, etc.) and later 'alternative' metal... of course some of those alternative-metal bands, like Tool and Primus, are now considered to be modern 'Prog' bands by many. The 'industrial' stuff is what got me really interested in computer music / MIDI.

Then I also got into some hip-hop via Beastie Boys, Dream Warriors, De La Soul, etc. ... by the mid 1990s I'd listened to anything that 'floated my boat'. One of my favorite newer bands now is Diablo Swing Orchestra who will mix any genre into their music, Metal, Big-Band Swing, Disco, Opera, you name it.

Also that bloke who made the film with all the "blue, lanky hormones" seriously ripped off Roger Dean!
Yes he did! I actually listened to Roger Dean himself talk about this at length, sitting on the steps at prog-rock festival some years back. He was suing James Cameron over the first 'Avatar' movie. I can hardly believe that he sadly he lost the case in the end. There's a blurry line between plagiarism and "inspiration".