Genuine users

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
tperry2x

Genuine users

Post by tperry2x »

This is really directed at Paul, but open to suggestions by anyone on this:
How do we accurately spot genuine users?
I have these notifications at the moment.
How do we know if they are genuine and need activating, or are best to ignore?
richmond62

Re: Genuine users

Post by richmond62 »

That top one is 100% genuine. 8-)
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Thank you. I had no idea. Jacque is activated.
done.png
done.png (7.31 KiB) Viewed 529 times
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I have been in contact with Jacque ever since I was at University at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale (HyperCard), and she donated very generously to my recent iMac appeal: we've had a 'love-hate' relationship based on mutual respect for 31 years.
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

In the public forums I frequent the policy generally tends toward assuming all new registrants are in earnest until they demonstrate otherwise.

Of course spambot activity outnumbers human activity on the internet, so this assumption is frequently wrong.

Moderating forums is a drag. Inhibiting ecosystem growth is a bigger drag. The balancing act between them is among the annoying challenges of building a growing community.
jacque

Post by jacque »

richmond62 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:57 am I have been in contact with Jacque ever since I was at University at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale (HyperCard), and she donated very generously to my recent iMac appeal: we've had a 'love-hate' relationship based on mutual respect for 31 years.
I just found this topic. Rest assurredI don't hate you, Richmond. I'm rather fond of you in fact, though I sometimes wish you would post fewer images in the "other" forums. ;)

We do go back ages.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

genuine-or-no.png
genuine-or-no.png (10.38 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Hi Paul. Did you want me to activate these users? Another new user today.
I didn't just want to let everything through - as otherwise we'll be back to the forum full of spam. Is there a better way?
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:02 pm genuine-or-no.png
Hi Paul. Did you want me to activate these users? Another new user today.
I didn't just want to let everything through - as otherwise we'll be back to the forum full of spam. Is there a better way?
I really don't know. I didn't activate these for the same reason you didn't, could be spam bots.
Although 'HyperGrams' really seems like someone who could be a legit user here.
Names I recognized from the community I usually do approve when I see them.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:39 pm I really don't know. I didn't activate these for the same reason you didn't, could be spam bots.
Although 'HyperGrams' really seems like someone who could be a legit user here.
I'd agree - HyperGrams could be genuine (on the basis that due to their username, it might imply and understanding of the related Hypercard history).
I've activated them, but we can always ban if it turns out they aren't genuine.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I don't know how "that lot across the road" do things, but they seem to end up with a lot of Russian flak and other 'chancers': maybe they work on giving everyone ('everybot' ? maybe I've just coined a new word ?) the benefit of the doubt, and then doing the pruning after the fact rather than anticipating it at the risk of putting a few people's noses out of joint.
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:02 am I don't know how "that lot across the road" do things, but they seem to end up with a lot of Russian flak and other 'chancers': maybe they work on giving everyone ('everybot' ? maybe I've just coined a new word ?) the benefit of the doubt, and then doing the pruning after the fact rather than anticipating it at the risk of putting a few people's noses out of joint.
Yes, presumption of innocence is the guiding principle there.

Klaus and I do most of the moderation, and being in very different time zones it's rare that spam lives long there.

The choice of forum software can help a bit. PHPBB has been around so long that there are plenty of scripts for automating spam in it. But also the project has not kept pace with its peers like Discourse, in either user experience or spam prevention. Not sure how such a mature project can appear so resource-strapped, but it does.

Short of switching forums (which would only mitigate some of the problem, but not eliminate it), it boils down to whether you want to spend your time guessing up front, or knowing after an account proves itself bad.

If I were admin I'd keep PHPBB updated, use the built-in tools for spam mitigation, and open the gates, sharing moderation with trusted members across times zones.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

FourthWorld wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:58 pm I'd keep PHPBB updated
Thanks for reminding me, there is 3.3.x branch maintenance update available.

One thing I sometimes do is look at the whois of a new users if I'm trying to determine if they may be bots, if it's of Russian origin it's probably a spammer, they will often have weird looking email addresses too (something like JohnSmith1hd7@j364.aqx.12345.myportal.ee )