Jankedman, QuackMan Stack ported to OpenXTalk

A forum to share your demonstrations stacks, fun stacks, games, etc.
OpenXTalkPaul

Jankedman, QuackMan Stack ported to OpenXTalk

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

A slightly jankey port of QuackMan, an ancient HyperCard clone of Pac-Man.
JankyMan.jpg
JankyMan.jpg (208.28 KiB) Viewed 896 times
NOW IN COLOR!

I didn't spend a lot of time porting/updating it really, the most difficult part was figuring out the way the background groups came in and some oddities with LC 6.5's HC Stack Importing.

Needs Work.

It was basically an experiment, I wanted to see if I could port this from an HC stack (done), and then get it running smoothly using SVG paths for sprites, but never got around to doing that part (I did make new SVG Widget "Pac" sprite/frames if anyone wants that stack let me know).
QuackManRedux.oxtstack
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 108 times
overclockedmind

Re: Jankedman, QuackMan Stack ported to OpenXTalk

Post by overclockedmind »

I'm looking to make an JRPG... possibly something simpler first, like, well this! Do you wanna allow a guy to "borrow" the engine? I have to ask, first.
I don't even mind crediting you, however you like.

Footnote - I was working on a B&W game myself... it would have been Gradius-esque, but the premise was... well, I shouldn't say, honestly. :lol:
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
overclockedmind

Remember those old AA-battery handled games? Double Dragon anywhere! Or perhaps, Mr. Game and Watch? That was part of my engine concept... but I didn't take copies of my stacks when I graduated (HS.)

Simplified animation! Meaning, stuff just is there or isn't, and you are just adding one graphical change or two per "frame..." :oops:

Seriously bummed out I didn't take those stacks. The teacher who bought HyperCard for me would have probably slipped me the box set, I'm pretty sure.
overclockedmind

richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

The teacher who bought HyperCard for me would have probably slipped me the box set, I'm pretty sure.
I'm a teacher as well:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/hypercard-241

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/hyperc ... dmotion-ii
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
overclockedmind

richmond62 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 am
The teacher who bought HyperCard for me would have probably slipped me the box set, I'm pretty sure.
I'm a teacher as well:

Thank you, kind sir! I have the manuals (in general) for HyperCard already, and this'll go all right with qemu-system-ppc "Screamer."
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

overclockedmind wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:52 am
richmond62 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 am
I'm a teacher as well:

Thank you, kind sir! I have the manuals (in general) for HyperCard already, and this'll go all right with qemu-system-ppc "Screamer."
QEMU's PowerPC emulation has gotten a lot better in recent years (like the 'Screamer' sound builds).

As far as using this stack as you please, well that's exactly why I uploaded it.
It is only partially my work, specifically the bits required to get this old HyperCard stack working on OpenXTalk Engines, and updating the B&W ICONs (used as Sprites) resources into color PNG images (mostly found on the web), the original used the addColor external to apply color overlays to its B&W ICONs. As seen in the game's title graphic, the original HyperCard stack version was created by someone named David S. Shelly (about 30yrs ago, they might not even be alive by now), who I'm assuming would be flattered that anyone would bother to update the thing, but the bulk of the credit goes to him.

I really don't have time to work on games right now, so if you or anyone else want's to update this to be less 'janky' that would be great. It runs OK as a standalone app on macOS. Some of the jerky motion spots on the playing board are due to me accidentally moving a few buttons (from the grid of btns which the game uses as map) slightly out of place, so those spots should be fairly easily to fix.
overclockedmind

I can't really believe how much the code of the button to start/resume the game is so...HyperTalk-ish. Like code specific to a HC 2.x stack.
I'm fascinated. THAT I can code like.

You imported to LC... I went back and read through everything. What I don't get is, am I supposed to use that method to create, importing from "the before times?" It just feels like LC 7-9 would have laughed me right out of the room if I used that same code.

It's hard to explain. I'm gonna play around with some other stuff and try writing "that way."
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

overclockedmind wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:19 am I can't really believe how much the code of the button to start/resume the game is so...HyperTalk-ish. Like code specific to a HC 2.x stack.
I'm fascinated. THAT I can code like.

You imported to LC... I went back and read through everything. What I don't get is, am I supposed to use that method to create, importing from "the before times?" It just feels like LC 7-9 would have laughed me right out of the room if I used that same code.

It's hard to explain. I'm gonna play around with some other stuff and try writing "that way."
Well the thing should run in LC 9.x as that's where I originally started to tweak it to get it running on this particular xTalk Engine. I used LC 6.7.5 or 6.6.5 on SnowLeo to import it.

But that this required minimal changes to get it to run on a completely different Engine, is kind of a testament to the clever tricks people had to use in order to get the HyperCard Engine to do what they wanted it to do. And it shows that our xTalk dialect is compatible (enough) to a lot of HyperCard scripts (it is still missing some HyperTalk functionality).

I understand that newer commercial versions of LiveCode have gone and fixed HC stack importing (previously broken since v7), which I guess was from their big post FOSS bug-hunt.

In OXT DPE on Mac if you open a HC .stak file in OXT DPE it will forward (and rename file with .stak) the open file message to HyperCardPreview (if it's installed).

I've also used 'stack-import' (command line tool) and HyperCardPrievew.app (which is an app written in Swift that can display stacks/cards and scripts, but without any execution engine) to convert simple stacks via cut and paste into OXT. These conversions produce stuff like XML,JSON,PNG,text, etc. for their resource counterparts formats.

HyperCard Simulator's import goes a step further in pulling in assets, it will even convert SND PICT ICON etc. resources (it's 'engine' also emulates a few common HyperCard XTernals like addColor), and then embeds their binary data (like a Resource fork would) encoded as text-transmit safe Base64 (like dataURL) in HTML structure. Which is a lot like what I was talking about trying to create as an 'interchange' format (actually I was going for a custom XML schema), a text<->UI answer to what a 'script-only' 'stack' is to a regular stack, a well-spec'ed out standard that people could write importer/exporters for relatively easily. Another idea was maybe this could use something like Qt's QML as a UI mark-up, then users could reuse the data/UI layouts for like a PyQT based project (collaborating across scripting languages as one example use-case) and probably import layouts from QML Python projects too... QML is a lot though, maybe overkill... sorry... rambling away now lol
overclockedmind

Nah man. There's enough good stuff in your post that it couldn't have been mere rambling. I'll get 'er outta there... a precursory read, and you haven't lost me, yet :lol:
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

overclockedmind wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:37 am https://neovideohunter.wordpress.com/20 ... game-1988/

This. Exactly this.
'These kids don't know how good they had it, when I was a boy...
Coleco_Electronic_Quarterback.jpg
Coleco_Electronic_Quarterback.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 576 times
The 'players' were literally dashes.
Oh and I've never really even liked Football (American or otherwise), but fun enough if you didn't have quarters for the arcade and the 'cool dudes' at Radio Shack that let kids play with the TRS80s weren't working.